January 19, 2014
1981: Joan Miro @ Brunswick Plaza
Concrete over a metallic armature, ceramic tile, and bronze, on a travertine stone base
Washington Boulevard, between Clark Street and Dearborn Street
Situated in an architectural nook formed by the Cook County Administration Building, the Chicago Temple Building, and Harold Washington College, "Chicago," by Joan Miro (1893-1983), is often overlooked in favor of Picasso's sculpture in Daley Plaza on the opposite side of the street. Standing roughly 12 meters tall, Miro's piece took some 18 years to realize after its proposal, largely as a result of the complex arrangement of its funding. The Art Institute of Chicago maintains Miro's plaster "Chicago" maquette from 1963: http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/100666
Image (1) September 20, 2006;
Image (2) September 20, 2006;
Copyright Paul E. Germanos.