1974, modeled on a piece shown in 1973
Dearborn Street, between Jackson Boulevard and Van Buren Street
Standing roughly 16 meters tall, the painted steel sculpture "Flamingo," 1974, by American artist Alexander Calder (1898-1976), occupies Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's Federal Plaza, sitting on the west side of Dearborn Street, between Jackson Boulevard and Van Buren Street. Riveted, the piece relates in its method of fabrication to the ironwork of the city's civil engineering; but, its color and curvilinear form stand in high contrast to the surrounding modern architecture.
Image (1) September 20, 2006;
Image (2) October 27, 2007, Chicago Police mounted at anti-war protest in Federal Plaza.
Copyright Paul E. Germanos.